Actually, writers who sit all day, need exercise. Not all of us can be slim jims who run, have gym memberships, or are fitness freaks. Some of us even have mobility problems. But that's not to say you can't work some fitness into your day.
Here's some easy exercises you can do in front of your computer.
- Hold your legs out straight. Slowly lower them to the floor. Do several times.
- Hold your legs out straight. Flex your ankles back and forth. 10x
- Hold your legs out straight. Rotate your ankles clockwise 10x then counterclockwise 10x.
- Tilt your head to the left. Hold 5 seconds. Return to center. Tilt head to the right. Hold 5 seconds. 3x
- Scrunch one shoulder up next to your ear, while forcing the opposite shoulder down. Reverse. 2x
- Wrap your arms around the back of your chair. Tilt your head back. Now stretch. 2x
- Clasp hands together. Raise over your head. Stretch. 2x
- Dangle your left arm over your chair arm (if you have one, you don't have to have one to do this exercise). Bending from your waist, stretch as far as you can to the side. Return to sitting position. Repeat on right side. 2x
- Not to forget your eyes! Looking straight ahead, raise your eyes (not your head!) up, then down, to the right, then the left. Return to center. Repeat. 2x
- Get up and walk around every 15-20 minutes. This is a great time for that cup of coffee or bathroom break.