A Writer's Journey through the Maze of Life

Sunday, March 13, 2011

ARE YOU FIT TO WRITE?


Yoo-hoo. Yes, you. The writer sitting on your butt for long hours in front of a computer screen. What are you doing for your health? While most of us can tolerate TB (tired butt) few of us handle the upper body aches associated with long hours of writing very well.
It is recommended you break for ten minutes every hour. Think of it as a commercial break. It is the time to go get your coffee, check the mail, make a phone call, etc. But you can also use the following quick exercises to help get and keep the kinks out:
1) Push yourself away from the computer. Roll your neck to the side so your ear touches your shoulder (or as close as you can). Raise it straight. Roll to other side. Raise. Roll it down. Up. Back. Front. Repeat 3-4 times
2) Stand up. Shrug your shoulders up and down 3-4 times. Roll your shoulders back, forward.
3)Do NOT look at the computer doing this next one. Look out the window or at the wall. Raise your eyes up, down, right, left 3-4 times.
What do you to keep in shape as a writer?

4 comments:

D'Ann said...

By not taking care of my health, I ruined my arms and got a bad case of Carpal tunnel. I try to baby them more now...I have to. I urge all writers to take care of their health.

I'm sorry I missed your call! I was at a friend's book signing in Grand Jct and then work yesterday!

Thanks for calling me though!

CJ Clark said...

How can you complain about your phone not working, if you're not home to answer? LOL Thanks for comment. I forgot all about wrists. Exercise them too!

Anonymous said...

My daily routine includes walking at dawn and dusk, working in the yard and watering the garden, plus yoga twice a week, and a long hike with a group once a week. I make myself get up from my computer often and try to remember to stretch. Sitting is very hard on the body! Especially if you are typing or working the mouse on the computer. If I couldn't get out and walk I would be a very unhappy writer!! Laurie

CJ Clark said...

Thanks for stopping by Laurie. Sounds like you get plenty of exercise. You put me to shame!